University of Illinois at Chicago - Tutorium in Intensive English
- School Size
- Cost of Attendance
- Type of School
Intensive English Program
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Business English, English Language (ESL), Online Teaching and Learning
Accreditation and Certification
CEA, EnglishUSA Member, UCIEP Member
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Homestay, Apartment, Dormitory
- Social Media
- Our Intensive English Program has moved online for the Summer and Fall semesters
- Students do not need a visa to enroll
- Intensive academic program established in 1978
- Entry dates in August, October, January, late February, May, and late June
- Elementary through advanced levels, 20-25 hours weekly
- Small classes with professional faculty
- Student-focused computer facilities with Internet access
- Modern on-campus housing available with Internet access
- Assistance with off-campus housing
- Near Chicago's lakefront and business district
- Close to museums, theaters, and public transportation
- 17 years or older, and
- Equivalent of a US high school diploma
About our Program
The Tutorium in Intensive English is on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago. Chicago is a major cosmopolitan city where students can enjoy the academic, artistic, and cultural resources of world-famous architecture, theater, music, and museums. The city is located on the shores of Lake Michigan, close to several parks and beaches that offer a variety of recreational activities.
The Tutorium offers a comprehensive program of English instruction for speakers of other languages. The program is designed for highly motivated individuals who wish to improve their command of the English language for university study or for business and professional advancement. 5 levels of instruction are offered each session. Students receive approximately five hours of classroom instruction daily in reading, vocabulary development, composition, grammar, listening comprehension, conversation, pronunciation, and academic study skills, and they regularly attend the computer-assisted language laboratory. Students also select from a variety of special topic elective courses.
Tutorium students receive academic, cultural, and immigration counseling. The Tutorium offers a placement examination at the beginning of each session and a new student orientation to help with the transition to life in Chicago and the US. Three university admission seminars are offered to help students understand the university application process. An institutional TOEFL is offered each session. Tutorium students also have many opportunities to participate in on-campus activities and field trips around Chicago and Illinois.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is the largest university in the Chicago area with over 30,000 students and nearly 100 fields of study. Tutorium students have access to library facilities of more than 1.6 million volumes, including special mathematics, architecture, medicine, and science collections.
Through study at the Tutorium, international students will gain the skills to compete successfully in American colleges and universities, as well as the knowledge to fulfill their professional and personal goals.
|Calendar 2019-2020||Program Dates||Midterm Entry|
|Spring Session 2020||January 13 - April 16||February 24|
|Summer Session 2020||May 18 - July 30||June 22|
|Fall Session 2020||August 23 - November 18||October 4|
FEES PER SESSION
|Application Fee||$175 (nonrefundable)|
|Midterm entry session||$3,240||$1,930|
|(includes testing, ITP TOEFL, and student services fees)|
|ESTIMATED EXPENSES PER SESSION|
|(for proof of financial support for I-20)|
* Fees are subject to change without notice.
* Only full-time students (20+ hours per week) are eligible for I-20s.
1333 South Halsted Street Suite 260 (MC324)
Chicago IL 60607